The Pacific Index

First recorded hole-in-one at Pacific

Luke Olson, Sports Editor

Golf is hard. Plain and simple.

What’s even harder? To hit a little white ball hundreds of yards out into a 4.25 inch diameter cup in one shot, otherwise known as a ‘hole-in-one’.

According to the National Hole in One Association, an amateur’s chance to hit a hole-in-one is 12,500 to 1. You have a better chance being struck by lightning with those odds.

Many people play golf all their lives, and yet can never achieve this. Not for sophomore golfer Briana Finau. At the Spring Classic in Spokane, WA at Hangman Valley golf course, Finau knocked in her first ace in her young career.

After her first eight holes of play, she would come to the ninth tee box, the 148-yard Par 3. Finau would pull out her five-iron, take a swing, and would watch it hit the green and seconds later, roll right in the pin.

Finau would throw her hands up and celebrate with her group as so did the crowd by the ninth green.

“As soon as I hit it, I didn’t think it would go in,” Finau said. “I just expected it to be close to the hole enough for me to birdie it, but then it suddenly rolled into the hole. It was very exciting since it was during a tournament.”

Indeed, it was. There is a lot more pressure and meaning during these golf tournaments and to achieve this life-long dream for many, is something you never forget.

As of now, Finau’s hole-in-one is the first recorded one in Pacific’s women’s golf history books. Head coach, Richard Warren commented that during his 19-year tenure with the Pacific golf program, not one of his players has ever done so.

“For my first hole-in-one, I was really excited and very surprised,” the sophomore said. “I felt that I did my team, coaches, and former private coach Lance Suzuki proud.”

Finau would finish her opening round with an 83. The following day she would shoot an 84, sharing 15th place honors.

This year, Finau has had four top-five finishes and six top-ten. She and the rest of the team are looking to finish strong, moving up the standings at the Northwest Conference Championships.

Both the men and women’s teams will be in Lakewood, Wash. at Oakbrook Golf Club, April 21-22.