The Pacific Index

Former coach takes position at Eastern

James Perez, through Sports Information

James Perez, through Sports Information

Luke Olson, Sports Editor

Former All-American linebacker and more recently known as assistant linebackers coach for the Pacific University football team, Jack Perez, is leaving after one season with the Boxers.

Perez will be taking his coaching to the next level with Eastern Washington University, a Division I FCS program, part of the Big Sky Conference. Eastern has been a top-notch team over the years, having twenty-five conference titles, including a National Championship win in 2010.

After quite a career as a linebacker for the Boxers, earning All-American Honors, Athlete of the Year at Pacific, First Team All-West Region honors, a school record of 123 tackles in one season and many other accolades, Perez took a linebacker assistant position with his former team. Perez noted earlier in the season that Pacific was the perfect place to start his coaching career.

His first season as a coach was an opportunity to see a different side of the game, and he enjoyed each part of it. As a player with the same team a year ago, he earned greater appreciation for what the coaching staff does.

“My first year on the coaching staff was an awesome experience,” Perez commented. “It was great to be able to be part of the stuff that goes kind of unnoticed or behind the scenes. I really enjoyed the game planning preparation, so to see that process with our coaches was something as a player, I didn’t think too much about.”

Perez believes he has found his true passion in coaching and enjoys seeing the success of his players

“I want to get to the highest level of coaching that I can,” Perez said. “I love everything about coaching, I love being able to be around the players as much as possible. Watching them grow and finally understand what you are teaching them is a great feeling to see them ‘get it.’ I am super competitive so I enjoy the competiveness of the game and the people that draw to it.”

He will start as a defensive intern for the Eagles, a position he just started a week ago. Perez will look to build up his coaching resume and with many accolades and experiences on the field, he is ready to take that knowledge to the ‘sidelines’.

“I think I have definitely found my passion,” Perez said. “I really could not see myself doing anything else besides coaching.”